Monday, October 19, 2015

Cover Problems and Naming

I'm still unsure what to call the book. It grew from what was originally a short piece called Company Man that was about an engineer from a steampunk-type company and his problems with the US military during the Civil War. As it grew and I loaded the story with other themes and ideas, I kept the title. After all, the story had the same protagonist, and he had some of the same problems in early chapters. But the title no longer represents what the book is about.


I've been toying with various quotes and names of things from the Civil War. I quite like 'Let The Past Bury Its Dead, which is a quote from the American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow from his poem A Psalm Of Life. It's a about seizing the moment, which is one of the themes of the book. It's American and from the nineteenth century. And it comes with a hint of danger and prehistoric life, though that's not at all how it was originally used. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's kind of long and maybe clunky. I'm gonna have to do some cover mockups and see how it looks.

Speaking of covers, here's a notion of what I'd like:


I don't have permission to use this image and I've not had any success in contacting the artist so I'll have to abandon it. But the colour scheme and style of image is exactly what I'd like. I really want a painted image similar to these covers:




I've spent quite a bit of time on Deviantart looking for something that's just right but again, haven't had too much luck contacting artists. So there's still a lot of work to be done! I've spent so long on the book that I won't settle for something that looks cheesy, even if it takes a while to get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment